All in the Family?
This is one of the saddest posts I've had to write in some time...
Two weeks ago I got a phone call from my brother in law, Brad. He started the conversation with a little laugh and "I think your Alana has rubbed off on Reed"
I was perplexed.
Oh no. What did Alana do now?
"It looks like Reed is a type 1 diabetic too"
I was floored. I had just gone to Alana's school to give a talk on T1D, now we have another child in my husband's family who is insulin dependent.
(My pancreas prop)
Reed and Alana were born a year and two days apart. Reed had to go to the hospital in DKA on his tenth birthday. It's the worst birthday present EVER!!!
I felt hopeless and all I wanted to drop everything and fly out to Utah to help out. But Alana was turning nine the next day and there was just no way I could make it happen. So we scheduled to skype that night.
While laying in his hospital bed, we talked to him, comforted him, joked with him and most of all, supported him. I wanted to reach through the screen and hug the little man.
It's so hard to be so far away. But there's one thing that is certain. Alana and Reed now have a very special bond that non of us will ever understand.
...for the record. TYPE ONE DIABETES SUCKS!!!
Comments