Never knew meat could mean so much to me.

Really, I never knew meat could mean so much to me. We stopped by friends Scott and Cynthia's place while out checking on a few houses after Ike. They gave us a refresher and I helped with some minor clean up in their yard. When all was said and done Cynthia asked me if we would like some chicken she had happened upon at the grocery store. You may or may not know that it's darn close to impossible to get much of anything right now. So we graciously accepted it and a few other comfort foods.

We got in the car and were so excited about it that we thought that we would share the only 3 chicken breasts that we could have for a week or more with our friends the Kerby's. They had watched the girls all day so we could help with the clean up efforts. They like us only had canned food to survive on. It was so nice to have chicken for dinner that night. And some how it fed three adults and three girls.

Chris and I feel so fortunate to have power, water, gas and a non leaky roof over our heads. We know that there so many people in our area that have been impacted by the storm. Now when I find fast food or a restaurant open I get excited. Same with gas. There are so many things that we take for granted. I think that Ike was an eye opener for us. League City is surrounded by destruction. How did we get protected? Why were we not hit as hard as everyone around us? It's like Ike took a coffee break while over League City. The damage we had was minimal... our fences down, trees were slumped over and the pool that I mistakenly left in the back yard was still there when we got home.

Things could have been much worse. Thank goodness it wasn't. Now it's time to count our many blessings and be grateful for all that we do have.

(I know y'all want pictures... there are too many to post. So I will do the next best thing and make yet another slide show. They are coming soon!)

Comments

Jed and Kallie said…
I was just telling Jed that I miss meat but mostly fresh veggies. Canned food is just not doing it for me. I'm glad to hear all is well at your house. I'm so excited to have my computer and the internet back up and running!
The Waggoners said…
I'm so happy to hear you're all home and safe. But I'm also sad to hear about the family in your ward. We'll continue to keep you in our prayers. We may live far apart, but let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
OlsenFam said…
I am glad you are safe... You make me thankful I have a small storage of food. We depleted quite a bit in the move and I am making it my goal to get it back up. I worried with you guys headed back that food would be scarce...I'm glad you had some.
I'm sorry about your friends...I hope the church is stepping in to get them the things they need.

Popular posts from this blog

Hospitalization,an Answer and "B" for BRAVE { Part 1 }

Hugs Jugs

All in the Family?