Hospitalization,an Answer and "B" for BRAVE { Part 2 }
(continued from part 1 HERE)
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
I woke up to a little hungry face. Weak, tiered and all she wanted to do is EAT. At this point I'm afraid of feeding my child. I had no clue what she could eat. Every time the food cart came by, the nurse had to approve the food that was on her plate. We had to send things back several times. Pain in my heart for my sweet baby who just wanted to fill her tummy. What's for breakfast? Eggs, sausage with apple juice. The plate was clean.
(Here's Aunt Lara and Alana playing Connect Four)
Lara and John's girls helped pick out a beautiful James Avery necklace. The Seven Hearts Flower Charm. The heart is a symbol of God's love, humanity, and charity. The heart is also considered to be the source of understanding, love, courage, devotion, sorrow, and joy. All the things that what Alana needs at this time. This gift touches my sole. It may not seem like a big thing, but at times it's the little things that effect us the most.
Chris came to let visit for a little bit while I headed home to take a quick shower. But before I even left the hospital I found myself in the lobby, in tears, crying on the shoulder of a person I have never met. What triggered this you ask? The hospital staff were running a silent auction. There were several baskets lined on a table. All funds raised were befitting DIABETES RESEARCH. Here I am. With little sleep, just finding that my daughter was T1D, trying to wrap my head around all of this and all I could do is bawl.
I had lost it.
Driving home in a silent car. No radio. Just me and my thoughts. I'm sure it was a sight to see for the other drivers around me. No one likes to see another person cry.
I was home for only a few minutes. Enough time to shower, change and grab a few things. Back in the car. Back to the hospital.
Shortly after getting back we met with our Diabetic Educator Susie. She briefed us shortly on a few things to get us started and made plans to do our full class the next day.
Visitors...by the truck load...
Alana received a blessing from Ky White (powerful!). It was so nice for me to see him because he's been such a fatherly figure for me here in Texas.
Jen and Wendy came back to make a second visit. Miss Jen is the best nurse. Since she is T1D as well, she knows the pains Alana is going through. At one point she let Alana give her an insulin shot to show her how BRAVE she could be. When Jen was in the room the nurses could do anything to her. It was less stressful on all of us because Alana looks up to Jen so much. Always has. Now they have one more thing they have in common.
(This poster was signed by all the Trooper School teacher from last year as well as several that just know Ariana but wanted to send love. Again... sorry for the bad cell phone pic )
One of our highlights was seeing the Greenfield family. Elle specifically. These two girls have been best friends since they were itty bitty. This year they are in the same school. So Elle was able to pick up a package from Mrs. Munoz (Alana's teacher) and bring it to the PICU.
It was filled with cards all made by her friends at school. Alana and Elle read every single one. Elle had he help a bit because Alana had some blurring side effects from the Ketoacidosis.
The best thing about Elle being there was that I saw little glimpse of my princess. The Alana that we all love. She was giggling and smiling. Something I hadn't seen in over a week. Even Nurse Courtney wondered who this child was.
It goes to prove that FRIENDS ARE SOME OF THE BEST MEDICINE.
( Alana opening a gift from Kylie Anderson who was sick and couldn't visit. But her dad Brian/the Bishop came in her place.)
Amazing words from a beautiful 8 year old.
Flowers from GG!
Matt and Kayla Drake came bearing flowers!
That night the Dr turned off one of the IVs and the insulin drip. Alana got her first insulin shot that night.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
The best way Alana found to keep busy was drawing.
She drew pictures for just about every nurse and Dr. that walked by her window.
(This one was for her sister Ariana)
Fun and games with Megan Eldridge.
At 3pm Chris came back to meet with our diabetes educator. This was our big class. Susie brought a bunch of rubber food for Alana to play with while we talked and learned about the does and don'ts and asked lots of questions. We learned about counting carbs. We would be doing this for the rest of her life! It's hard to wrap your head around.
These two played off each other. And Susie made a real impression on Alana.
It was Susie's birthday. So Alana colored flowers for her. Such a sweetie!
It was so nice to see all these faces together.
Pinkie and the tile.
Fun huh? It's hung in her room.

I gave my first shot that night. Alana hated me. Tomorrow would be better.

When everyone had left. Alana crashed. (yes.. she sleeps with her eyes open)
I know it seems like this day was great through these pictures. But what I'm not showing is the tears that I held back, Alana pleading with me to not get her insulin shots, the constant fits where she exclaimed
"I DON'T LIKE DIABETES!", then me crying because I don't like it either.
Thursday, March 28
Discharge day
Alana all but ran up and down the halls bugging the nurses, dancing and singing. I couldn't believe she had come this far in just a few days. We checked into the ICU with a baby that was so sick. Now she's got energy and spunk. Even joked around with the hospital staff.
We packed our things and prepared to leave.
Matt and Kayla Drake came bearing flowers!
That night the Dr turned off one of the IVs and the insulin drip. Alana got her first insulin shot that night.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
The best way Alana found to keep busy was drawing.
She drew pictures for just about every nurse and Dr. that walked by her window.
(This one was for her sister Ariana)
Fun and games with Megan Eldridge.
Megan had a friend who heard about what was going on with Alana, she sent a necklace that was given to her when she was in a difficult situation. Its a symbol of strength that is to be passed on to the next person. So when Alana sees someone who needs a little extra strength she can pass it on. Cool huh?
Breaking Free.
Alana was allowed to totally unplug from the IV by around noon. It couldn't have come soon enough. When we took the clothes off that she had been wearing for two and a half days I realized how awful the Keton smell was. It was all over everything she and on her. They were quickly bagged up to be washed. So gross! I gave her a sponge bath and she was very happy to get clean clothes on. Alana felt free.
Laughing because she was so excited to have a string cheese and no cords. It's the little things.
At 3pm Chris came back to meet with our diabetes educator. This was our big class. Susie brought a bunch of rubber food for Alana to play with while we talked and learned about the does and don'ts and asked lots of questions. We learned about counting carbs. We would be doing this for the rest of her life! It's hard to wrap your head around.
These two played off each other. And Susie made a real impression on Alana.
It was Susie's birthday. So Alana colored flowers for her. Such a sweetie!
We were introduced to Rufus. He's a bear from JDRF. Alana fell in love with him. He has a book talking about diabetes for kids. We can't wait to get ours.
The first day in the hospital we saw all the ceiling tiles in the PICU. We loved looking at them all. So when Alana found out that she could paint one she was very excited. That night Elle and her brother Zander came to visit. Ariana came to visit as well. It was a room filled with energy. Not what you'd expect in the PICU. Several people looked though Alana's window looking for the sick kid. She was almost normal.
Joy in my heart.
The four kiddos with my help painted Pinkie the Guinea pig on a surfboard.It was so nice to see all these faces together.
Pinkie and the tile.
Fun huh? It's hung in her room.

I gave my first shot that night. Alana hated me. Tomorrow would be better.

I know it seems like this day was great through these pictures. But what I'm not showing is the tears that I held back, Alana pleading with me to not get her insulin shots, the constant fits where she exclaimed
"I DON'T LIKE DIABETES!", then me crying because I don't like it either.
Thursday, March 28
Discharge day
Alana all but ran up and down the halls bugging the nurses, dancing and singing. I couldn't believe she had come this far in just a few days. We checked into the ICU with a baby that was so sick. Now she's got energy and spunk. Even joked around with the hospital staff.
We packed our things and prepared to leave.
As we drove away Alana begged to go back. She already missed the nurses and of course Mrs Susie.
This moment was bittersweet. I was glad to leave the hospital but scared to death of caring for my newly diabetic child.
Was I ready for this?
Did I know what to do if she got to high or low?
We were on our own. But not for long because we had an appointment with our new Diabetes Educator only a few hours later. We were just glad to be home.













































Comments